Rattlers rattle off two in a row at home


After a big win the previous night the Rattlers rested starting Guard Jon Sappleton for their upcoming game against SAIT. The Clippers hoped to redeem themselves after a tough loss the night before. The Clippers came out strong, scoring by committee and moving the ball around. The Rattlers were relying on their outside shooting early and could not seem to score inside. This had the Clippers leading early. The Rattlers were trying to force the ball into spots that could not handle it. As a result they finished the quarter down 4, 15-19.

The second quarter started better for Medicine Hat with more intensity on the floor. The Clippers Matched this intensity with speed picking up from both sides. The score even at 27 mid quarter, saw neither team able to grab the momentum and hold it. Briercrest was in Bonus with 4 minutes as the Rattlers were having trouble with fouls on the floor. Later in the quarter the Rattlers finally started to control the game. 3 stops in a row saw the Rattlers open up an 11 point lead. This lead was almost entirely due to the Rattlers play in the defensive zone. At half time the Rattlers had opened up a 9 point lead, 44-35.

The Third quarter started with another Rattler Defensive stop. The Rattlers then proceded to make two key rebounds on offence converting their first trip down the basket. The teams settled in to their regulat offences with the rattlers utilizing their outside shooting while cutting inside for the easy layup. Midway through the quarter, the offence seemed to stall as defense on both ends was the story. With only 7 points in 3 minutes both teams were sputtering offensively. Briercrest took advantage of a sloppy Rattler team starting to chip away at their lead. Not taking big chunks at once, the Clippers were taking what the rattlers were giving them closing the gap to 5. This forced the Rattlers to call a timeout to gather the troops. The quarter ended with the rattlers up 5, 55-50

The fourh quarter started with The ball moving fast up the court. Neither team wasting time in the backcourt saw the Clippers, especially, pushing the ball quickly. Steven Jones and DeAngelo Ashley of Medicine Hat became more involved as they started wo work the ball inside more. This helped the rattlers expand their lead back to 10. Midway through the quarter the urgency from both teams intensified. The Clippers in a much closer game than the night previous, fought hard to keep the game within reach. The Rattlers turned up the intensity each time the Clippers seemed to find some momentum. Medicine Hat started to turn again to DeAngelo Ashley down low to control the game inside. Medicine Hat up at the end of the game ran out the clock winning 78-65.